- 1985: SWWC entered into its first operating agreement to provide a school district insurance pool to its members.
- 1992: Legislation allowed SWWC to provide services to cities, counties and other governmental agencies.
- 1993: Cities, counties and other governmental agencies joined the health insurance pool.
- 2003: VEBA plans became available for health insurance pool members.
- 2008: Programs focusing on employee wellness were created.
- 2017: Seven service cooperatives throughout Minnesota joined together to form the Minnesota Healthcare Consortium (MHC).